- Make sure your goods are dry and
clean before you put them into storage.
Drain and wipe down freezers, refrigerators
and washing machines.
- Pack your property into good quality
plastic or cardboard storage boxes.
Both can be purchased from Maximus
Self Storage, along with tape and bubble
- Fill storage boxes to capacity, using
soft padding where appropriate. Partially
full or bulging boxes may collapse
or tip over.
- Pack heavier items like files and
books in smaller boxes so they aren't
- Label or number boxes for easy reference
and keep an inventory of what you have
- Protect fragile items with bubble
wrap and avoid putting heavy items
- Use wardrobe boxes to keep clothes
- Remove all perishable and inflammable
items like food, aerosols, batteries
- Dismantle furniture where possible
and detach legs from tables and beds
to save space.
- Remember, lift heavy items correctly:
bend your knees not your back.
Making the most of your space
- Plan your storage. Put items you
may need at the front.
- Remember, you can visit your storage
unit as often as you want.
- Position boxes and items of similar
size together to minimize waste of
- Leave space for access to the rear
of the unit.
- Place dust sheets or
protective covering over
- Stand mattresses on
end and avoid stacking
heavy items on soft furnishings.
- Stack chairs seat to
- Use dust sheets to cover your
property and on the floor of the
- Use furniture covers or dust sheets
between surfaces to protect from scratches.